Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Matisse, part 2: "drawing with scissors"


Matisse
Part 2 of second grade's Matisse unit is a collage inspired by "Les Betes de la Mer," or the Beasts of the Sea.  Matisse's later years were spent mostly in a wheelchair, which limited his access to easel painting.  Making collages from colorful papers cut into shapes was a great alternative for him, and he liked to call it "drawing with scissors."  We began with cool color geometric shapes as a sea-like background, with warm color organic shapes that overlap for the sea life.









7 comments:

  1. I like how the kids' placement of the cool geometric shapes provided an opportunity for discussion of line direction and mood (vertical, diagonal, etc.). For instance, the last example posted has such a strong diagonal feeling to it. Great examples!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These turned out great! I know your students loved working with those bright colors and geometrics.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful collage compositions.
    I love the variety of geometric and organic shapes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How beautiful! I did something similar during student teaching, but they didn't come out nearly as fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Matisse is my hero. These collages are a wonderful homage to his amazing work - what lovely interpretations! I'm impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the way you incorporated geometric and organic along with warm and cool. This looks like a great unit - gives me lots of ideas. I'm currently working on these types of shapes with my students, so we might have to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We were inspired by this project today! Thank you!!

    http://hollysartcorner.blogspot.com/2012/06/2012-project-2-matisse-drawing-with.html#

    ReplyDelete

Comments are very appreciated - thanks for stopping by!