Friday, September 21, 2012

Who is your favorite Pop Artist?

Warhol, Lichtenstein, or Thiebaud? This is the question asked of my 4th graders in the educational DVD "Who Is The Artist?" Students made notes about the characteristics of these 3 American masters and selected one to be the source of inspiration for their personal take on a contour line still life drawing. Those who chose Warhol drew grocery store items and focused on repetition or advertising, while Thiebaud fans focused on sweets with cast shadows and displays. Lichtenstein fans drew their shoes in a comic book style, complete with Ben-Day dots.

This Lichtenstein painting, featured on the DVD, was just uncrated here at the High Museum for a fall exhibit!


     
Special edition soup cans, just in time for my Pop unit!
Some of my current fourth graders, when we went to the Warhol exhibit last year

6 comments:

  1. great stuff kids! I especially love the use of light and dark on the desserts to make them 3d. plus those compositions are spot on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great way to culminate a pop art unit! I like that it requires them to form an opinion :) The cake (3rd photo up from the bottom) is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to check out that DVD, it looks good. The lesson is great, I like how you gave the kids a choice as to which artist they wanted to use as inspiration, it's so important they have a sense of ownership in their work. The Andy Warhol cans add a nice touch too! I keep seeing those cans everywhere, I've got to get to Target before it's too late!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great way to offer choice to students and simultaneously cover more information

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the first one so much. Fab project, Hope. How many days did you work on this? I'd love to borrow your DVD sometime if you wouldn't mind. I have a VHS of Van Gogh, Cezanne and Monet, but I'd like to expose them to these artists!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem, I can school mail it to you. Thedvd takes the majority of one session, then the drawing and coloring/shading takes about 1 or 2, give or take. I really don't like spending more than 3 sessions on most lessons.

      Delete

Comments are very appreciated - thanks for stopping by!