Monday, February 4, 2013

Spreading the LOVE



The Artist Trading Cards are officially in the mail! We had so much fun trading ATC's last year that we definitely wanted to do it again this year, using Valentine's Day: Love and Friendship as our theme. Each 4th grader made 4-6 cards, two designs were made by my instruction (an optical illusion style and a word art) and the remainder were done with the students' own interpretations of the theme. We are trading several through the mail and a couple with classmates.
We have mapped our trades, starting with the heart in Georgia, and branching out to 8 other states. We are so looking forward to receiving our trades! I will post the results when everything arrives.
Each school receives a set of cards, a tracking map, and a description of our school and community

The addition of aluminum foil scraps was a simple but effective way to get a little sparkle!






7 comments:

  1. Love this! I want to get into doing trading cards...probably won't have time to plan it this year, but hopefully next year! Now that I'm blogging, I can find schools to trade with that are a lot farther away! I really like how you are including the map and description of your district/community!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so interested in who you are sending them to in Oregon...is there another Oregon based art blog that I haven't found yet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's Deschutes Arts & Crafts 4-H Club in Redmond OR.

      Delete
  3. It is exciting to see our school on your map! We will working hard on Thursday and they will be in the mail Friday. Thanks for the opportunity to trade! Kim at Grace Christian School, PA

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so cool. I would absolutely love doing this with my art classes. I am wondering if you would be willing to share with me more about the logistics/planning that you are doing to make this happen. Like how do pick schools to trade with? what does trading back look like? Is there a specific timeline? How do you frame the lesson for your students, etc. I am just so curious. If you would like to get in contact please shoot me an email at rachellaurenmiller4990@gmail.com. I really hope to hear from you soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rachel, I will add your name to my list for next year. I won't be doing any more trades this school year, but I am going to try to organize a club next year so that we can do one trade per 9 week period. I will let you know! For this trade, I posted an invitation on my blog last summer and people responded.

      Delete
  5. I am an art/music teacher in Indiana...I would love to be in on the card sharing, too! I am wondering if it could be posted somewhere - I don't have a blog. This is a great idea and something the students in my classes would love! We do cards for troops through a Boy Scout troop and have made them for the veterans nursing home in our area. It gives them the chance to see others' art ideas! Veralyn.Neal@sspencer.k12.in.us if interested and need another school.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are very appreciated - thanks for stopping by!